Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. We need VBA development environment for Access Web Apps.

Macros in Access Web Apps take us back to the earlier versions of Access. If Access Web Apps is equipped with a professional VBA development environment then I feel the forthcoming versions of Access Web Apps can be a tough competition for other development tools being currently used in the market. There are a million VBA developers in the market then that for any other tool as of date. Please let us have VBA in Access Web Apps, we can really change the way Access has been criticized till date. We want to create more robust web based apps using…

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Improve the Visual Basic Development Environment to be similar to Visual Studio

When working in Visual Studio the VBA VBE seems so primitive. See the features here
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/efc4xwkb.aspx

The features in the Visual Studio text editor make writing, navigating, and debugging code so much simple:

The Visual Studio editor provides many features that make it easier for you to write and manage your code. You can expand and collapse different blocks of code by using outlining. You can learn more about the code you are using by using IntelliSense, the Object Browser, and the Call Hierarchy. You can navigate inside your code by using features such as Navigate To, Go To Definition,…

66 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for weighing in on this.
    VBA is very important to us, and we’ll continue to add object model for new features (see http://dev.office.com/blogs/VBA-improvements-in-Office-2016), so you have programmable access to all of the capabilities of the application.
    However, changes to VBA are driven cross Office apps and not directly by Access team, so I’m declining this request so you can re-use your votes.

Feel free to follow the developer blog http://dev.office.com/blogs, where we’ll communicate changes to VBA.

3. make Zooming and Printing improvements to the RELATIONSHIPS diagram window/view

The Relationships Diagram window has been a static feature in need of serious improvements - like adding comments to the relationships, and descriptions to the tables in the diagram (like tooltips). The control of Zooming and Panning - and printing/Previewing the diagram could use some serious overhauling. The automatic pagination - and the lack of control of what parts of the diagram are clipped to other pages - is HORRIBLE. Given a sufficiently large entity model, the existing capability falls woefully short of helping us to diagram and document our databses decently! How about giving us Multiple Relationship Diagrams (Pages)…

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for posting and supporting.

We understand the need but currently there is no plan to improve zooming and printing of the relationship diagram.

If you have additional related suggestions, please create new items for them.

Thanks,
    The Access Team

4. Fix Long standing known bugs!

Instead of looking for new features, why not fix what doesn't work properly. There are a number of well documented bugs (15+ years old in some cases?!) it would be nice if they were addressed.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dolly (et al), the risks involved in fixing bugs (and introducing new ones or breaking existing solutions) is a major consideration for us when prioritizing the bugs we are attempting to fix.
    With that in mind, we are looking also into some of the older bugs and assessing the risk, investment and impact.

It would be great and much more in line with the UserVoice site objective, to specify which bugs you are looking for us to solve, which are the major pain point for you.
    I suggest you list them as separate items in this site and let others vote on them.

In order to free up your votes, I’m ‘closing’ this item as “no Current Plan”.

Thanks

5. OSX Support

Would be great to see this application on Apple's operating system.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. PNG transparency bug in MS Access 2003,2007,2010,2013 and if not also in the 2016 version?

Take this message to explain the error in the transparency of PNG.
    This bug is crawling from the first version of MsAccess PNG transparencies disappear when sent to the printer, if anyone solved this problem please tell him that I do or how to solve it, probe with Msacccess 2013 and continues the bug ... today is 01/16/2016 ....
    Leo Poster and websites, observed in the examples that come out and check on my little exercises, which is possible in the new Access 2010 version include pictures in various supported formats (.jpg .png .gif etc, etc) in forms and reports,…

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Reports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting.
    We will add this bug report to our backlog and see that it is prioritized and handled.
    In the meantime, I’m updating the status for ‘No Current Plan’ so that you use your votes again.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

7. Local Help

Enable Local Help Files as it used to be. The web help is slow, often leads to incorrect correct.

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Deprecate all versions of Access

I would like to suggest to Microsoft an idea that came to me in a dream last night. My dream was a little bit like:
    I was sitting in a bench at some park, there was no black people around, Donald Trump probably won the reelection. I was reading the news, "Elon Musk dies on his way to the sun"... For some reason I'm not surprised. All of the sudden I realize I was supposed to go to work because its sunday! I rush to McDonalds... on my way I see a massive screen showing the new capabilities of Access…

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Warranty expiry field (date) for appliances in the Home Inventory List template.

Users recording the purchase of appliances for the home may find it useful to note the warranty expiry date of each appliance. It would be handy to have in the event of appliance failure or malfunction.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please provide us a utility to create Mobile Apps using MS-Access (Specially for Mobile development)

Hello Team,
    A mobile app developed using MS-Access itself can help in creating Apps which can be used by a Sales Team which is performing marketing activities in remote locations.
    The mobile app can help the Sales person record the customers enquiry (Very minimum fields) and on a push of a button have it flushed to the Corporate CRM database.
    I'm asking for a Small Mobile App development tool which can help MS-Access run on any mobile (I'm speaking of a very very light version).
    This will not only make MS-Access a versatile product but millions of mobile app developers…

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. MS Access

I would like to have a cloud version of MS Access and really need it for my business could you please indicate a timeframe ?

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. fix the new charts in 2016 (eg Waterfall chart) so that they can be modified with VBA.

I have been unable to use the new waterfall chart in an application developed in Access. I can create it up but it doesn't allow changes of data or any property by VBA as other charts do. Why would MS create a really useful chart and then not fully implement it? There may be more up to date information on this, but a discussion from a year ago (June 2017) says the VBA hadn't been implemented then and apparently there has been no change. (Or am I missing something?)
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msofficecustom-mso_2016/are-the-six-new-chart-types-in-excel-2016/3e8f9bf1-76a7-4a1a-91cd-9ed27165c17c

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for trying out Access new charts!

However, seems like there is some kind of confusion here as Access doesn’t support a waterfall chart (yet). Also, the answers forum link discusses an Excel waterfall chart.
    Perhaps your suggestion is in the wrong UserVoice site?

Regards,
    Access Engineering

13. Bring Access to the year 2017

OK, enough of COM controls and VBA programming. The controls need a complete overhaul that look like and act like year 2017 controls not 1981 controls. We need more controls that you would find in .net interface. The chart control, datashets and almost all other controls need to be moved out of the COM world. Creating a dashboard in near impossible with the current controls and layout handling.

Also VBA is ok but very limited compared to .net. Both are your products why not integrate them.

We need a true grid control, better comboboxs, true PDF support, better and attractive…

26 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas with us.

However as written, we feel that this suggestion is not actionable. Please feel free to create new itemized suggestions that are more actionable.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

14. Re-Instate Pivot table view in Access 2016

Please restore this feature, clearly by the number of ignored CUSTOMER requests in the past to restore, you clearly dont value your user are are technically unable to honor their wishes !!!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As you are probably aware, Pivot Charts and Pivot Tables have been removed from Access 2013 because the technology they relied on was deprecated (Office Web Components).

Since Pivot Charts as we all know them, will not come back to Access, we are updating the status accordingly and would like to encourage you to continue and use your free votes to support other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

15. When will Access have a mobile version?

I have been using database manager for many years from Smartlist To Go on the palm, to HandBase on Android and now Airtable cross platform Windows, Apple and Android. None of them is as powerful as Access. Really, really needed a mobile version because most of the time I use the database is with my phone. I only go to my computer to look at larger databases. Please let us know when will a mobile version for Android and Ipad come out? please please!!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. You need to get MS Access on the web or it's a dead product......

You need to get MS Access on the web or it's a dead product...... MS Access used to be great to make apps on the Local Area Network(LAN) using VBA and (I used) SQL Server. But now people need to get to that same data from the web... from anywhere.... If Access can't be moved to the web(including it's interface, not just database) it's a dead/dying product. I currently use ASP.NET with C# and SQL Server to re-create all that I've done with MS Access but I hate to see MS Access die. There is a drive right now to…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  0 comments  ·  Cloud  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Shut down this product

You have no intention to evolve this product nor listen you your customers
    So avoid the frustration and shut down the site as well as the product

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. I am a former DBASE programmer. I find that language to be very powerful and yet the language in ACCESS does not support it.

I could create a PRG file that would perform much as an application ...
    I am gradually learning the intracicies of ACCESS objects and how to build embedded queries inside of queries. I am also able to build some pretty exotic filters at this point. The Do While Loops coupled with nested If statements in DBASE enabled me to perform some pretty complex real world processing, that I find more n more complicated to replicate using ACCESS. It would be the BEST OF THE BEST if there was a bit of the same syntax as the Ashton Martin - DBASE.…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please provide a link to datasets to be able to follow along with the MS Access tutorials

I cannot follow along with all the steps given I do not have a dataset to work with that is similar to the tutorials.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for posting.
    Most Access tutorials published by Microsoft refer to the Northwind database which is available as a template in Access.
    Use the search box in the templates page to search for it if it doesn’t show up in the first page.
    You will find this database sample to be highly useful in learning Access and following tutorials.

Hope that helps,
    Michal [MSFT]

• Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base