Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix the TransferDatabase command so that it exports tables to Oracle properly.

When I try to export an Access table into an Oracle database it doesn't retain the input field formats. Everything is converted into a string and the indices are lost. I've contacted Microsoft about this before but got no meaningful response, presumably for petty proprietary reasons.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  External Data Connectivity  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Have "native english" Naviagation pane - even if using LanguagePack (like german)

It's hard to find things if you don't know the exact name in english if you search some things - especially because Help doesn't work / help.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. non editable System Queries For Listbox etc.

Why not enableing the user to select "selected" columns / rows via Query - always looping thru itemselected is not very easy and intuitive.

Similar is with queries about Tables, queries, forms, reports, indizes fields (like in combobox) and Macros and all the other collections.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Queries  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow better control/usage of the office spellchecker

Often times I want to be able to run a spellchecker on just a single textbox, of just a single row/record. The primary textbox might contain text while other textboxes on the same form could contain references that would not make sense to spellcheck.
    Ideally, as part of the beforeUpdate event of either the textbox or the form, I could run the spellchecker and react accordingly.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Highlightable property for all controls including rows on continuous forms

Windows 10 in particular like to highlight controls as you pass over them. This capability should be available for any control and would also be very useful on a continuous form to highlight a particular row as you mouse over.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. custom menu

Bring menus back as an option. The story I heard was that MS Access had to go the way of other Office applications. The example was that Word had over 1,400 menu options and most of the tech support calls were to help people find the right menu item. Access is different. Most MS Access application have a limited set of menu options so the need for the Ribbon interface is overkill.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow Object Model Manipulation of the ctl.Filter.ValueList.RowSource in a Form Datasheet

The Filter Value List in datasheets is set to scan the full recordset's field to display a unique list. This takes time and i/o in a pure .accdb recordsource and worse, will not work if the recordset is based directly on an ODBC attached source.

Many Filter Value Lists are sourced from fields which are foreign keys to look up tables - we could intervene by feeding the look up table as source for the Filter Value List.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Datasheet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Combox - separate what is shown when "open" to what is shown when "closed"

If you select values via combobox (you open it to show a list of values) then i often want to restrict what is shown there, but if combobox is "closed" (just the result is shown) then i do not want to apply any restriction there. (When closed Show "Select Names form tblAdress" but for show selection: SELECT Names from tblAdress WHERE dept = 1; ) ...

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Forms  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make SQL and QBE Smarter

1. When a query that selects identifiable rows joins to a query that aggregates data, allow rows in the identifiable part to be updated rather than making the query non-updateable. Extend this to heterogeneous joins so if one table in the join is updateable but another is not, allow updates to the updateable one.
    2. Stop smothering expressions with excessive numbers of parentheses. There is no reason that I can think of that would require an individual column name to be enclosed all by itself in parentheses.
    3. Stop reformatting MY SQL strings. I have a work-around for this but…

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Allow JET/Ace SQL To support Multiple SQL Statements and comments.

This will make the supported CREATE PROCEDURE statement begin to be actually meaningful.

Also, permit the Query Editor SQL view to RETAIN WHITESPACE & tabs used for FORMATTING (indenting) in the SQL. to enhance readability.

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Expose Swipe Events on Forms so Touch Screens can be Supported

Add SwipeLeft, SwipeRight, SwipeUp and SwipeDown events at the form level. Tabs could support Swipe Left and Right to move to the next tab. Datasheets could use it to move in the grid.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Parallel Processing

Maybe this is too much to ask. Can we request to to evolve from VBA to vb.net? allowing us to take advantages of parallel executions?

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. java

Java Driver
    please create a driver for java, so that it would be able to create a android frontend to accdb-databases

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Additional Error Object properties - which procedure, which module, which object, which db

The error object should be expanded to included properties which can reveal the procedure, module, and object that the error is taking place in.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Increase the size of the record display in datasheet view footer

Right now the size is not big enough in many cases depending on the number of records. Since datasheets are usually wide anyway, this can be easily increased.

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Datasheet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow disable of filter icon on datasheet at the bottom.

On many forms I create, I include filtering fields at the top of the form, a filter and clear filter button and the datasheet below. If the user unclicks the filter on the datasheet, this causes issues as the filtering on the form above is not cleared at the same time because the main form does not know about the "unfiltering" below. If the datasheet view had a property that controlled the "filtered" button option. If disabled, just show the word filtered if it has been but not clickable.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Datasheet  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Resolve ODBC / SQL Server issues with NVARCHAR(MAX) and REAL

Several SQL Server / ODBC data types poorly supported. I have just found that NVARCHAR(MAX) is the recommended SQL Server memo field type but Access is inconsistent in handling this - text larger than 4000 characters fails to update.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Better Backwards Compatibility

I have three version of MS Access - 2013, 2010 and 2007. I need this so if I develop a DB with library references (in particular the MS Excel library) and it has to work in an earlier version of Access (so if I developed it in 2013 but it has to work in 2010) I have to open it in 2010 and make sure the references are not missing before giving it to a user. I have tried multiple times to write code that will try and remove the missing reference and add a valid one but why? These…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Feedback and Knowledge Base