Feedback by UserVoice

Access (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Access Desktop feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve.
We have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service and your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create a new Requery method which returns to the current record

When you requery a form after updating another form or another table, Formname.Requery goes to the first record. On a continuous form it is a real nuisance to have to return to the original record. We need a Form.RequeryReturn function to bring us back to the original record. Obviously, isf the record is deleted it should return to the previous record.

76 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ribbon Creation Tool

You pushed upon the Office community the Ribbon back in 2007, when are you going to finally give us a GUI tool to develop ribbons properly? Right now, the ribbon is a half-baked concept with no tool to develop with.

165 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    28 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

At the moment there is no plan to develop a tool for creating ribbons.
    This suggestion should probably be directed to a broader UserVoice site as it relates to all Office products and not just Access.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

3. FIX BUG: runtime error when resizing subreports in a report using VBA

If you have a report that needs to resize a subform control containing a subreport for each record, you'd like to change the subforms width and height properties in Format event procedure. In preview this leads to a runtime error "not enough system resources".

Changing the size in Load event procedure works properly. But you can't have indivual sizes for each record.

I encountered this issue in Access 2010.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting.
    We will add this bug report to our backlog and see that it is prioritized and handled.
    In the meantime, I’m updating the status for ‘No Current Plan’ so that you use your votes again.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

4. Fix Docmd.Transferspreadsheet

Microsoft Access and Microsoft Excel you would think would be hand in hand... but the problem has persisted for years that it has always been problematic getting the correct data types between Access and Excel columns when Importing and Exporting to and from Access to Excel and vice versa.

69 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Automating Tasks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Excel doesn’t support data types which makes it very hard for Access to recognize data types from Excel when importing.
    When using the wizard to import data from Excel, you can determine the column types and save the steps – this could be a workaround to mitigate the issue.

Access Team.

5. 2016 SQL Edit bug: If there is a Where and no group by, can not edit without Error 1001

Can not make any change to the SQL (even adding a space and taking it out) for any SQL with a WHERE clause but no GROUP BY. For example, to put a DISTINCT after the SELECT.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for reporting.
    We will add this bug report to our backlog and see that it is prioritized and handled.
    In the meantime, I’m updating the status for ‘No Current Plan’ so that you use your votes again.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

6. Integration with Cortana for navigation purposes

Add navigation commands such as “Open”, “First Record”, “Next Record”, “Previous Record” and “Last Record”.
    The “Open” command would be followed by the Form or Report…”Open Sales Order”…”Open Purchase Order”.
    If possible a “Find” command would really rock. “Open Contact Maintenance”, “Find Jane Smith”.

These commands would be very useful in a mobile environment.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Search and replace on all database objects.

Queries, Forms, Reports, Macro, VBA, possibly even tables.

Today I do this by exporting all database objects to text files, using a utility that I built, and then using a customer text search app that I built to find strings using regex matches. Then I have to go and open the objects and manually make the changes.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for posting and supporting.

We realize the ask is to have this as a native functionality in Access but there are great third party tools available to solve this problem, and currently there is no plan to enable this.

Access Team

8. Fix Long standing known bugs!

Instead of looking for new features, why not fix what doesn't work properly. There are a number of well documented bugs (15+ years old in some cases?!) it would be nice if they were addressed.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    13 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Dolly (et al), the risks involved in fixing bugs (and introducing new ones or breaking existing solutions) is a major consideration for us when prioritizing the bugs we are attempting to fix.
    With that in mind, we are looking also into some of the older bugs and assessing the risk, investment and impact.

It would be great and much more in line with the UserVoice site objective, to specify which bugs you are looking for us to solve, which are the major pain point for you.
    I suggest you list them as separate items in this site and let others vote on them.

In order to free up your votes, I’m ‘closing’ this item as “no Current Plan”.

Thanks

9. Can we have the option when you run a runtime for the first time to remove the security warning

If the Access Front End is not stored in My Documents, the only way to remove the warning is to poke around in the Registry and put in the path where the Front End is stored. This is dangerous and not user-friendly. Ask the user if he/she accepts the risk and then allow use without the warning.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Future of MS Access

Hello
    My post is a general post about which way should MS Access take in the future. I have used Access as a professional tool in my company against large and small companies from the early versions of Access. I believe that this is the most common use of Access although Microsoft from the beginning of the product have added this at the Office package as a low-threshold entry to the database worlds. Microsoft has reduced the availability of Access in its Office suites from early beginnings. In view of this, I mean Microsoft should let go of Access as…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Local Help

Enable Local Help Files as it used to be. The web help is slow, often leads to incorrect correct.

31 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Include Access Desktop in all O365 subscription plans.

The idea is to demonstrate its power for developing sophisticated applications and to proliferate its use. The average user tends to use Excel instead of Access because it's a lot easier for them to grasp, so perhaps MSFT can create a website for all Professional Access Developers and refer users who desire education and development assistance?

34 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks Frank for the suggestion.
    I’ve passed this feedback including all comments) to relevant folks.
    Since it’s not a suggestion for the product per-se, I’m updating the status so you can get your votes back.
    Use them wisely :-)

13. Provide a better SQL editor

Please provide a better SQL editor with syntax highlighting, indention, IntelliSense and using SQL comments in Access 2017.

231 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Is Anyone Home?

As a VBA developer who knows the language inside and out, I provided a ton of feedback about 5 years ago on a consensus of what was requested by developers at large. Microsoft does NOT listen. No need to reinvent the wheel here.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide a native grid control similar to the visual studio gridview or even the old flexgrid.

A grid control provides the means to show tabular data. Some features include
    - Sorting by column
    - Moving columns by dragging
    - Selecting individual cells
    - Formatting individual row, columns, or cells
    - Control columns such as checkboxes for selecting a row
    - Edit cell of data
    - Spreadsheet type movement

The capabilities provided by the Visual Studio gridview is a great example. The features that this provides are far beyond what is capable in Access especially when dealing with unbound data. A common example that I see on the message boards is a user want to build a…

303 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Give us a wizard to create ribbonbars like we used to have for the old menubar

Give us a wizard to create ribbonbars like we used to have for the menubar. Creating complex ribbonbars by storing HTML in the USysRibbons table is very time consuming to create and maintain. Especially hard to debug errors.The old menubar wizards made this task quick and easy.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

At the moment there is no plan to develop a tool/wizard for creating ribbons.
    This suggestion should probably be directed to a broader UserVoice site as it relates to all Office products and not just Access.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

17. Bring back the Database Window

The Nav Pain is thoroughly unsuitable as a UI for very large, well-established projects. Small, user-created files with 10's of objects are suitable for the Nav Pane, but large, professionally developed files with thousands of objects are most certainly not. The Nav Pane lacks the visual differentiation to make finding objects simple -- and no, search is not a substitute for a good visually-oriented UI design.
    The Nav Pane is a drag on developer productivity

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    16 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have heard from customers who have been using the database window for a long time that they would like us to bring it back, as it is superior to the Nav Pane.

At this point we have no current plan to bring it back.

However, if you have specific suggestions on how to improve the Nav Pane, please submit them as separate items.

Thanks,
    Access Team

18. Provide a way to develop a truly "stand-alone" app

Hiding the ribbon, navigation pane, and database window, along with denying access to tables, queries and design environment always requires a lot of work. Would be nice to have a MDI form, and menu bar control. The user would only see and have access to the MDI and its menus. Everything else is hidden and unaccessible by the user.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    No Current Plan  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Quit trying to "dummy down" MS Access. That's like trying to make controls on a jet easier for a novice to fly it.

Access is an integrated development platform. I have clients who create Access apps "easily", thinking what they did is the best thing since sliced bread. A developer like me (23 years) has to go in and basically revamp the whole app because they did not follow proper design/development protocols. Work on making Access more stable and powerful, to be used with the rest of the MS Office suite.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for posting. We have read the post and all comments.

Since this is not a new idea/suggestion per se, and we’ve noted the underlying requests, I’m updating the status to No Current Plan so you can have your votes back.

20. make Zooming and Printing improvements to the RELATIONSHIPS diagram window/view

The Relationships Diagram window has been a static feature in need of serious improvements - like adding comments to the relationships, and descriptions to the tables in the diagram (like tooltips). The control of Zooming and Panning - and printing/Previewing the diagram could use some serious overhauling. The automatic pagination - and the lack of control of what parts of the diagram are clipped to other pages - is HORRIBLE. Given a sufficiently large entity model, the existing capability falls woefully short of helping us to diagram and document our databses decently! How about giving us Multiple Relationship Diagrams (Pages)…

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for posting and supporting.

We understand the need but currently there is no plan to improve zooming and printing of the relationship diagram.

If you have additional related suggestions, please create new items for them.

Thanks,
    The Access Team

• Don't see your idea?

Access (Desktop Application)

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base