I suggest you ...

Please make Access able to handle more data types as are commonly used in Server databases

For example Access cannot handle BigInt in linked tables. This has been in use in SQL Server for many years, but Access can't handle them in linked tables.

124 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alan CosseyAlan Cossey shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Under Review  ·  Access TeamAdminAccess Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks for this suggestion – obviously there are several data types that are missing and we’ll need to prioritize, so we’d like to get a better sense of what’s most important to you.
    Fell free to add in comments – which data types would you like to have supported (in order of importance)?
    Thanks!

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AngelAngel commented  · 

Another field can be IP addresses not in text field.

• B. ClothierB. Clothier commented  · 

Mark, VBA already has had LongLong. In 32-bit, you still can implicitly get LongLong from the BigInt field though you can't dim a LongLong variable explicitly but a variant variable will contain a LongLong. (kind like how decimal can't be explicilty dim'd but can be implicitly set via a variant variable).

• Mark BurnsMark Burns commented  · 

That article said NOTHING about supporting BIGINT values in VBA...so does this update enable BIGINT datatypes in VBA as well?

• Michael McConMichael McCon commented  · 

Decimals with precision at 20 or over. We have some third party databases that we connect to with decimals over 19 precision. When it comes into access it creates the field as ShortText. The same issue with BitInt.

There should really be someway to map these fields types for linked tables.

• John HeaserJohn Heaser commented  · 

The ability to Get/Set the Lat/Lng properties of a Geography data type would be very useful

• LightwaveLightwave commented  · 

I understand BigInt is going to be included. I would agree with the others - a good move as this brings it into line with SQL Server

• BitsqueezerBitsqueezer commented  · 

Beside the already mentioned missing datatypes:
        A datatype to handle "hours:minutes" where hours are not limited (i.e. a 32bit int value) to handle sums of i.e. working hours over a longer period than 24 hours (like "130:24")

A currency datatype with a user-changeable currency symbol like:
        100.34 €
        Where "€" is displayed as a combobox containing all available currencies. Windows has all these currencies in the internal regional settings list.
        The current currency datatype always simply displays the currency symbol which is in the regional settings of Windows so if I create such control in an Access form and the user enters "$" and changes the regional settings then it is "€" from then on which leaves the currency formatting and datatype useless.
        So the datatype should include the value like before and add an internal ID pointing to the standard Windows IDs of regional settings or alternatively a standard SYS table in Access containing all currencies and their symbols.

• Anonymous commented  · 

geospatial
        Date
        Time
        Decimal
        BigInt

• Pat HartmanPat Hartman commented  · 

The BigInt is especially problematic since it seems to be popular as a PK data type. When a data field is BigInt, Access "sees" it as text which is usually OK but when the PK is BigInt, Access falls apart and renders every column and row in the table as #Deleted. I had a lot of trouble with date data types until I discovered the ODBC 11 driver. I'm not sure why Access still installs SQL Server as the default when it tops out at SQL Server 2005 or maybe even 2000. It has been a real PITA to get everyone upgraded to the ODBC 11 driver and it's not like they're using A2K, the client is using A2013.

• Heinz HoegelHeinz Hoegel commented  · 

BigInt (with AutoNumber capability), Date, Time.
        In general, raise the limits of some ACE data types to those of its counterparts in T-SQL (nvarchar(4000), nvarchar(max)).
        And of course: Extend VBA to handle those data types natively.

• caw78caw78 commented  · 

Varbinary(max) to be able to upload and download files from SQL Server easier.

• Ananda SimAnanda Sim commented  · 

In my use,

1. proper support for nvarchar(max) - ntext has already been deprecated in SQL Server yet some interaction between nvarchar(max) and the ODBC SQL Driver 11 and Access 2007, 2010, 2013 causes an overflow condition.The amount of text that this happens varies with Access version and varies in amount - something around 8000 chars.

2. the number - integer variations in sql server vs the number types in Access aren't completely emulated or translated

• Alphonse GiambroneAlphonse Giambrone commented  · 

Date, Time, BigInt. Note though that support in tables is not so useful if there are not corresponding VBA data types.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base