Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Enable multiple versions of Access to co-exist on the same machine.

Enable multiple versions of Access to co-exist, side by side, on the same machine without ill effects.
Just like there can be multiple versions of Visual Studio, SQL Server, etc. Currently, to work in different versions of Access we need to maintain a separate machine (physical or virtual) for each version of Access.

82 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alphonse Giambrone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    No Current Plan  ·  AdminAccess Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Hi Alphonse,
    It is not clear what is the problem you are encountering. Going through the comments other Access users left here, didn’t help figure it out as well.
    To the best of my knowledge there shouldn’t be an issue with running multiple versions of Access on the same machine, so I’m closing this request.
    If you feel strongly about it and can provide more information, please create a new request.

Thanks,
    Michal [MSFT]

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3/5/19 -I am trying run applications created in Access 2003 using the downloaded version of access 2007B, they will not run without many errors or many cases not at all!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mobile version of Access is such an important item and don't understand why Microsoft is not working on this. Android and Tablets ability is a must for today's mobile world.

• Paul Sanguinetti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using Access 2002 (OfficeXP) developer) forever but decided to upgrade to Access 2016 when the packaging wizard started failing on Windows 10 machines. Almost all of my databases require replication and when purchased I didn't know it didn't support replication. Immediately after installing, all of my databases failed to run under 2016, and apparently 2002 was disabled as it no longer showed as an available program. It appeared to run ("Open with" showed the old icon but showed as Access 2016, and appeared as the old version) but opening any form resulted in a message "Object or Class does not support the set of events". Luckily once I in-installed Access 2016 the Access 2002 again became functional, but it was frightening to think my business was up in flames due to the install.

• Ben Sacheri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had voted for this item after reading the following statement on Wikipedia (as of 1/7/2016) regarding testing Office 2016: “Microsoft has removed the ability to run parallel versions of Office with the 2016 release. Part of the installer will search and remove any previous version and not permit the operation of older components. e.g. an older version of Outlook 2013/2010 with Publisher 2016.”

This statement is no longer listed in the Wikipedia article. Can someone from the Access Team provide clarification if the 2016 installer "will search and remove any previous version and not permit the operation of older components"? What happens to previously installed versions if I try to remove the 2016 version?

• KVD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After reading Chris' comment I realized I had not researched this topic properly. When 2007 came out I quit trying to load multiple versions. I see that was my mistake. Now see https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/218861 titled "How to run multiple versions of Office on one computer". This is from the knowledgebase maintained by MS and this article was presumably by someone from the A-Team. One of the first lines is "This article has been archived. It is offered 'as is' and will no longer be updated." Does this mean it will not work with Office 2016?

Ignoring that, reading through the article we see some gotchas. I still support the merits of this original suggestion from Alphonse adding the condition "without resorting to virtual machines."

• Chris Brockman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have never had any problems with multiple versions of Access installed on the same machine or office as long as each installation was done its own folder. I currently have Office 2003 and Office 2010 running side by side on the machine I am using with no problems.

• KVD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we not have all needed files (DLLs, TLBs, OLBs, EXEs, etc) within one cluster of folders and sub folders so that each Access version "knows" where to look?

I do not get it, why would this be so hard to do?

• Alphonse Giambrone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'Reconnecting...' is understandable. In versions prior to 2007, I had at least 4 versions of Office/Access installed with no ill effects other than what's been mentioned. Since v2007 any part of another version of Office often wreaks havoc. I had Office 2007 installed, then installed Visio 2010 (not other part of Office 2010). Worked on an Access 2007 app & sent to client. They couldn't run it (multiple machines - unrecognized database...). It ran fine on my machine. I uninstalled Visio, repaired Office 2007, redeployed & no problem. With different clients on different machines, deploy Access 2007 app - works fine. They decide to install Outlook 2010 (only). Access app starts throwing errors, from minor to major. Repair Office 2007 and all is ok. MS updates get applied, including Office 2010 updates and errors return - and the cycle continues... It's fluky. I have another client running an Access 2007 app on a TS with multiple versions of Office installed (a big no-no) - no problems - but that is a much simpler app.

• Tom Wickerath commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mark Burns:

"Windows defaults to "re-connecting" those DLls to the version you are firing up, and that is the reason for the "please wait, reconfiguring Access 2003..." popup dialogs. Windows is reconiguring a BUNCH of ("generic") DLL pointers on the fly. It kinda sucks, but it is a consequence of something beyond the scope of the Access Dev team's reach."

So how is it that Sagekey has solved a problem that is supposedly beyond the scope of the Access Dev team's reach?
        http://sagekey.com/installation_access.aspx

• Mark Burns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm flagging this a inappropriate because it is not something the Access Dev team can fix *AT ALL*.
        It is a consequence of the overall design of COM in Windows.

Think of it this way: the name DAO can ONLY point to ONE thing at a time - the Access 2003 JET Engine DLLs, the 2007 ACE Engine DLLs , the Access 2010 ACE DLLs, the Access 2013 ACE DLLs, or the Access 2016 ACE DLLs, etc.,.. Which one do you want?

Windows defaults to "re-connecting" those DLls to the version you are firing up, and that is the reason for the "please wait, reconfiguring Access 2003..." popup dialogs. Windows is reconiguring a BUNCH of ("generic") DLL pointers on the fly. It kinda sucks, but it is a consequence of something beyond the scope of the Access Dev team's reach.

Feedback and Knowledge Base