Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Include Access Desktop in all O365 subscription plans.

The idea is to demonstrate its power for developing sophisticated applications and to proliferate its use. The average user tends to use Excel instead of Access because it's a lot easier for them to grasp, so perhaps MSFT can create a website for all Professional Access Developers and refer users who desire education and development assistance?

34 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Frank Rotolo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    No Current Plan  ·  AdminAccess Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  · 

Thanks Frank for the suggestion.
    I’ve passed this feedback including all comments) to relevant folks.
    Since it’s not a suggestion for the product per-se, I’m updating the status so you can get your votes back.
    Use them wisely :-)

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Frank Rotolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Michal (Admin), it's a suggestion for the product in a market positioning sense, and a very important one for increasing the adoption of Access by the masses. FYI: here's a heads up on this very same topic which has gone viral on the web. There's more to follow!

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/five-things-microsoft-got-right-in-2015-plus-two-things-it-didnt/?tag=nl.e064&s_cid=e064&ttag=e064&ftag=TREe331754

• Sarah Ednay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really MS needed to offer a solution to the many small businesses like us (a user of Access since V 1.0 early 90s) that have a lot of historical business data in Access databases. Whether they came up with a new tool that took the files and converted them to something else or yes just a desktop version. But there has been ZERO ADVICE.... I can't even find out whether if we let the upgrade to O365 2016 happen whether any earlier version of Access would work... or whether like Visio and Project "Big brother MS" will just delete it. Subscriptions are supposed to make things easy... it's part of the deal. So if we now need to turn to Base for a database solution, then whey not go the whole hog and move to OpenOffice? Are they trying to drive small business away?

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not including it in the small business SKU makes no sense. That needs to be fixed. If it's included without the web apps feature, that's a reasonable compromise, but to require the Enterprise SKU to get the desktop version of Access doesn't make sense for SMB.

• George Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know this is a bit off-topic, but What If...

Access came in two "flavors": 1) Desktop User, and 2) Application Developer.

Desktop User would be pretty much Access as it exists now.

App Developer would incorporate some of the more sophisticated tools that some of us either develop from scratch, Google/copy/paste/modify or purchase outright. I'm thinking of "Find and Replace" from rickworld.com (about $40 - a program I use every day) and the many other tools from companies like FMSinc.com and Opengatesoftware.com. And tools like Peter deBaets "Shrinker/Stretcher" to re-size forms to fit Users screen resolution. Build in all those perennially-recommended performance enhancements like persistent connections to backend databases and a global settings tool for Tables, Forms, Reports. Wouldn't it be lovely if the SQL code in Access was the exact same syntax as for SQL Server (since we, as a profession, seem to be increasingly migrating our backend data into SS)?

As developers, we are called in to do some pretty sophisticated stuff - I think it would be a big help (and another selling point for moving from Excel-based processes) if we had some of these very handy, useful features built into an Access Developer Edition.

You get the idea.

• Joe Anderson (Access MVP, aka DatabaseMX) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty good idea Frank.

@
        "Make VBA available for Web development"
        Trust me, I get it ... but this is simply not going to happen because it is not technically possible to run VBA on the web, nor was VBA ever intended to run in a web environment. Hopefully, there well a suitable replacement and/or some MAJOR enhances to the current Web App macro language.

• Frank Rotolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@David, I think it goes beyond not knowing Access existed or was included in their version of Office. The average user struggles with Access because they do not know the fundamentals of proper database design, nor how to code with VBA and SQL. Hence the reason why a significant amount of a professional Access developer's work involves re-designing or totally re-writing applications developed by inexperienced users. If MS were to make Access more visible, provide education/training and help to support a network of professional developers, then our world would be a better place!

• David G. Harris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An excellent idea. Access used to be available pretty much with all but the most basic of Office versions. I see, at least once a week these days, excel projects that are storing in some cases huge amounts of data that should really have all this data in an Access Database. When asked why its in excel the usual response is that its all we had, we didn't know that Access existed or was available? Unfortunately the time when Access was universally known and recognised has gone and that is a great shame as its still by far the best rapid application development (RAD) platform on the planet, bar none!

Feedback and Knowledge Base