Feedback by UserVoice

I suggest you ...

Fix form border widths in Access 2016 under Windows 10

I don't know if this is a general problem with Office 2016, or if it is specific to Windows 10 users, but I find that sizable MDI forms in Access 2016 have a single-pixel border that is very hard to grab with the mouse.

The form borders show as a single-pixel red line, and have no difference in appearance regardless of the mode of the form, whether the mode is "no border", "dialog", "sizable" or "thin". The border appears the same in design mode.

I've tried this on a couple of different computers running Office 2016 under Windows 10, and the problem is the same, so it's not a driver issue. I've opened the database under Office 2010 and Windows 7 and the borders come up at the normal size for Windows 7. I haven't tried Office 2016 under Windows 7 though.

I have to assume that the problem is related to the way that form borders are handled in Windows 10, where the drop-shadow forms part of the draggable area.

247 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bill Stolk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

86 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Phill Ash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't Access Respect Windows' settings. I can, at least, bodge up the frame thickness in Regedit. I don't need to do the vulcan Death Grip to rezise a window

• L Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not fixed as far as I can tell Sam Smith. And I just forced a check for updates... still not fixed. But I'm not getting your version. Says I am up to date at v1803 Build 9126.2282 so ?? Running 32-bit in click-to-run office 365 environment. Anyone know how I can get this latest build Sam Smith is speaking of?

• L Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

9/19/2018 - Same issue. I mean seriously, WTH guys? I've been struggling with this ever since updating to windows 10 over a year ago...

• Sam Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's fixed! - Thank you! Would be good to get a proper version - history - fix list when you release new updates so we knew - but thank you! :)

I am on 365 2016 1808 build 10730.20088 and it all works - forms and QBE window now.

• DTM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

LOL - this is going on now to be a 3 YEAR OLD PROBLEM!!!!
        You guys deserve the rest of this at this point...

Guess you don't use your own products. If you did - this would have been fixed in week 1 as it is unusable in any productive environment.

Perhaps it's time to spend another whack of money on a survey to find out what your users want - vs simply listening to them. Always a massive puzzle to understand what goes on there.

You should be ashamed - or at the very least - very embarrassed by this.

Or - Why not just make 'em 0 pixels and save everyone the hassles?
        [ no sarcasm there :-) ]

• Ready to scream commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having same issue since updating to Windows 10 (Office 2016). Never had trouble with this before Windows 10. It's maddening. I hold the mouse over the border, and the double-headed arrow appears briefly then disappears again. Eventually, I manage to grab the border. I use multiple Access windows at the same time, with lots of other things open on my desktop, so this is something I have to do multiple times per day, every day. PLEASE FIX THIS.

• Nigel Dyer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hit the same problem. Often I find I can grab one size of a dialog box and resize it, but not the other. Its very annoying

'use ctrl+f8 and arrow keys as a workaround' - Genius - thank you! :)

MS - why is this so hard to fix?

• dbDesigner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got a new laptop this week and installed office 2016. Oh my goodness, the borders on forms are so thin that it is REALLY difficult to grab with the mouse. I used access 2010 before, which worked fine, and now I am wasting time on a silly issue like this! Very very frustrating. Please provide a fix for this? Seeing how many others have complained about this since 2015 already, I am getting worried. There has to be a way to change this setting?

• Tedd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I waste a lot of time trying to resize tables within queries. The border is extremely hard to grab and drag. A little wider would make my life easier. Everytime I try to resize a table within a query I curse the person that made the decision to make the border more narrow. This is very very very frustrating!!

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is very difficult to grab the border to expand/reduce the window. Why isn't this perceived to be a major issue when it would take me sometimes 10 seconds to get the mouse pointer aligned just right?

• Loise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem - want to pull hair out and abandon office altogether! :(

• Adam Seward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The difficulty in resizing the border windows in Access is such a massive time waster! I cannot believe this hasn't been fixed. Surely it's not that hard? It is certainly a necessary tweak.

Please will you fix this MS as it is ridiculous. This is my first full week using Access 2016 after upgrading from 2013 and it is driving me to the point where I am considering going back to 2013. Honestly - those of you on here who have been putting up with this for months must have the patience of saints.

Please fix this. I'll be your best friend. :)

'We did fix a similar issue with Query design and Relationship window, but haven’t fixed this one.'

Erm nope - it's still 1px wide in both these windows too - so not fixed.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base