I suggest you ...

Fix form border widths in Access 2016 under Windows 10

I don't know if this is a general problem with Office 2016, or if it is specific to Windows 10 users, but I find that sizable MDI forms in Access 2016 have a single-pixel border that is very hard to grab with the mouse.

The form borders show as a single-pixel red line, and have no difference in appearance regardless of the mode of the form, whether the mode is "no border", "dialog", "sizable" or "thin". The border appears the same in design mode.

I've tried this on a couple of different computers running Office 2016 under Windows 10, and the problem is the same, so it's not a driver issue. I've opened the database under Office 2010 and Windows 7 and the borders come up at the normal size for Windows 7. I haven't tried Office 2016 under Windows 7 though.

I have to assume that the problem is related to the way that form borders are handled in Windows 10, where the drop-shadow forms part of the draggable area.

220 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bill Stolk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

65 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am absolutely furious about this ongoing issue with something so fundamental.

Fix it now!

What excuse is there for letting this issue sit for so long? You already have our money? Is that it? Your monopoly is secure, so why bother?

• Gustav commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Strange. I've never seen this as an issue. Maybe I'm just better with a mouse than most.

• Rob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its pretty clear that no matter how much we complain about this, they are not fixing anything until they are good and ready. I certainly hope they fix this in the next version (at the least) because it really is a PITA.

This behaviour is still exhibited on Access 2016 under Windows 7 Enterprise. It's driving me nuts. The amount of time I waste trying to carefully position cursor over a single pixel to resize a window is infuriating. Please sort it out and quickly.

• Bodmoor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bump.

We're also waiting for an option to at least change the color of the border.

• xkater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

!
        Bill Stolk shared this idea  ·  December 06, 2015
        Under Review  · 

Admin
        Access Team (Admin, Microsoft) responded  ·  September 09, 2016
        I apologize for an honest mistake with updating the status to Done.
        We did fix a similar issue with Query design and Relationship window, but haven’t fixed this one.
        Again – sorry for the mix-up.
        Michal [MSFT]

Access is unusable - I just had a pop-up window NOT show ANY grabber, no matter how slowly (pixel-by-pixel) you move the cursor ! ! !
        ! ! !

• JPS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE FIX THIS.

single pixel borders looks sleek - but designing forms, reports, etc - it is such a pain to move things around and resize. Let alone allowing the user to resize their forms!

• TomG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thought I was the only one. What a pain. I agree with Foo. I find it a bit easier to grab the upper right corner and expand up and right. Then of course the form needs to start lower left which is not usually the case.

• Foo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What are the guys as MS doing???? Do they not have any pride in what they do? (This is a rhetorical question; clearly they do not.)

• Mike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yep...nothing more fun that spending 45 seconds trying to capture the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been "being fixed" for ages now.
        I need the skills of a Grey's Anatomy surgeon to be able to move or size a border.
        And waste much time and frustration as well!
        Surely this is just basic programming.
        You have not fixed the Querry design window either!

• Sir Tadpole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To whom it may concern,
        It is with the kindest of sentiments that I write this most enduring request. If it so pleases you and your counsel, would you perhaps kindly entreat the young fellow now residing at the North Pole to placate the fears of all and restore tranquility to the land by gently nudging him to perform this unresolved duty to increase the dreadful size of the border widths? With this accomplishment, my dearest and humble gratitude shall be yours.
        Sir Tadpole

• MS Hater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company just moved to Office 2016 (sic) and I just came into this amazing feature of ultra tiny borders within MS Access and I went almost crazy. Micfrosoft WTF you were thinking of? I'd find the developer and kick him to his ass constatly so it will bring him to a North pole. Damn it...

• Dan Gimpel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fix the form and table borders already! This issue is my #1 reason for not migrating from Win 7 to Win 10!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base