I suggest you ...

Fix form border widths in Access 2016 under Windows 10

I don't know if this is a general problem with Office 2016, or if it is specific to Windows 10 users, but I find that sizable MDI forms in Access 2016 have a single-pixel border that is very hard to grab with the mouse.

The form borders show as a single-pixel red line, and have no difference in appearance regardless of the mode of the form, whether the mode is "no border", "dialog", "sizable" or "thin". The border appears the same in design mode.

I've tried this on a couple of different computers running Office 2016 under Windows 10, and the problem is the same, so it's not a driver issue. I've opened the database under Office 2010 and Windows 7 and the borders come up at the normal size for Windows 7. I haven't tried Office 2016 under Windows 7 though.

I have to assume that the problem is related to the way that form borders are handled in Windows 10, where the drop-shadow forms part of the draggable area.

196 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bill StolkBill Stolk shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • OTOT commented  · 

Hurry up!

How long can this possibly take?

• MikeMike commented  · 

yep...nothing more fun that spending 45 seconds trying to capture the corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous commented  · 

This has been "being fixed" for ages now.
        I need the skills of a Grey's Anatomy surgeon to be able to move or size a border.
        And waste much time and frustration as well!
        Surely this is just basic programming.
        You have not fixed the Querry design window either!

• Sir TadpoleSir Tadpole commented  · 

To whom it may concern,
        It is with the kindest of sentiments that I write this most enduring request. If it so pleases you and your counsel, would you perhaps kindly entreat the young fellow now residing at the North Pole to placate the fears of all and restore tranquility to the land by gently nudging him to perform this unresolved duty to increase the dreadful size of the border widths? With this accomplishment, my dearest and humble gratitude shall be yours.
        Sir Tadpole

• MS HaterMS Hater commented  · 

Our company just moved to Office 2016 (sic) and I just came into this amazing feature of ultra tiny borders within MS Access and I went almost crazy. Micfrosoft WTF you were thinking of? I'd find the developer and kick him to his ass constatly so it will bring him to a North pole. Damn it...

• RichRich commented  · 

Please apply fix

• Dan GimpelDan Gimpel commented  · 

Fix the form and table borders already! This issue is my #1 reason for not migrating from Win 7 to Win 10!

• John McLarenJohn McLaren commented  · 

I have been using Access for over 18 years. Not since Access 97 have I been this frustrated.
        Recently I purchased a new 4K monitor to help me with my work but now that I have it, it makes it harder due to the problems highlighted in this thread. It is almost impossible to resize table and query windows. It takes a good 10-15 seconds to line up the mouse.

Please take some time to fix this. Even supplying us with an ETA would help us manage our frustrations.

• Michael ChristopherMichael Christopher commented  · 

This is ridiculous. It's a simple fix, Microsoft! I can't spend my Access coding days trying to grab a window border! How many thousands of hours has this wasted for your customers already?

• Harm LommersHarm Lommers commented  · 

I'm running this software for a week and I'm already tired of it, you cannot work like this... Please fix this MS...

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is bogus. This needs to be fixed like yesterday.

• JeremyJeremy commented  · 

Microsoft, could someone give an ETA on this fix? This has to be the most frustrating bug in the app! You can't tell me the right developer with a couple hours couldn't fix this?

• Anonymous commented  · 

2 YEARS UNDER REVIEW??? WOOOOO

• Anonymous commented  · 

What the F"/$% are you doing Microsoft? Windows XP was SUPER GREAT working A1 with all the apps of the era.
        Then, 4 VERSIONS later, there are more problems than ever on your OSs and your softwares. Office 365 is piece of crap where you have no control over anything.

And now this: A software that makes business run with DB that you've "updated" for the 8th Versions since 1997 and after all this experience in coding, you deliver a product that has A HUGE WORKING problem.

THE PROBLEM? YOU DON'T EVEN CARE!!! The issue has been reported for the past 2 years and yet nothing is done? WTF??

Can't believe a huge company likes yours sits on their asses and are proud of delievering EXPENSIVE softwares full of bugs, even after 8 versions!????

Your are really starting to make me want to Teach, Support and work with MAC or LINUX!!! Incredible how you scrap your reputation for crapy developpers.

• FooFoo commented  · 

Come on Microsoft! Where is your pride in your work? FIX IT!

• Richard BrakeRichard Brake commented  · 

If Microsoft is serious about Access, then why would frivolous design changes like the dysfunctional tbl window border even exist? Form over function, clearly. You folks need to take the design choices away from those who don't use the software. The frustration caused by having to move the mouse cursor back and forth hoping to finally latch onto the stupidly thin border is palpable in this post thread. For this to persist after over a year is reprehensible. Get a life and give a hoot. Please. Many of us make our living with your software. If you want us to choose it and act as promotional ambassadors, then care about our concerns.

• PeterPeter commented  · 

Please apply fix (it cannot be all that difficult!!!!)

• JPSJPS commented  · 

JPS commented · Just Now · Delete

The problem is not limited to Windows 10. My configuration is as follows

• Windows 7.0 pro
        • Office 365
        • MS Access 2016 16.0.7766.7080 32-bit (downloaded 27Feb17, installed, rebooted)

I have seen various cites where it is listed as fixed.
        http://access.uservoice.com/ (thanks for updating your status to 'under review')
        https://support.office.com/en-us/art...1-98a456cb3496 (June 2016 -Objects in Query Design window easier to resize)

However this is still a problem. I have been an MS Access developer for 20 years. Access is a great product. This, however, is painful.

This effects resizing of
        • Tables
        • Queries (in design view, sql view, and datasheet view)
        • Forms (in design and form view - with border style set to 'sizable')
        • Reports (in report, print preview, layout, and design views)
        • The Relationships window itself

• Note: the tables within the relationship builder have a one pixel, red border just like all other borders. However these borders act differently - probably because of a fix(?). These borders do allow the user to grab them more easily (as if there is a invisible additional pixel on either side of the border that reacts to the mouse click when it is in close proximity).

• Note: the tables within the query builder have a one pixel, red border just like all other borders. However these borders act differently - same comment as above...

The fix that was applied for individual table windows within the query design and individual table windows within relationship builder: Do this for everything else in the list please.

Why? Developers often have multiple windows open: comparing the design of three reports or looking at data in multiple tables. Please help us resize our design objects. Looking forward to your solution.

Thanks

• Anonymous commented  · 

This has been going on since December of 2015? Yeah, I can tell the developers at Microsoft are really putting this at the highest level of importance. Since I'm taking the time to add my two cents, let me just point out that removing the ability to resize a form from the bottom and left sides was ridiculously short-sighted, forcing users to increase movements and waste more time. Not all interactions with a program are productive, and negative reinforcement will not only drive away customers, it will cause those of us who are programmers to begin building our own development tools to go into competition with you. Some of those turn out to be very profitable for us, and not so much for you. Is that really your goal?

• Bill StolkBill Stolk commented  · 

Any word on this? It's been five months now, can you at least give us an update?

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base