I suggest you ...

Bring back the support for connecting to dBASE.

Access has always been about connecting to other data sources. Excel can still connect to dBASE files, but support for Access to connect was dropped. You can see from all the chatter, that there really is a lot of people that still use dBASE files for data transfer.

713 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jack Stockton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

105 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Thomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When will this be rolled out to enterprise Access 2016 clients? I have had to keep an old box running in order to run legacy databases. I have Access 2010 on Windows 10 Anniversary Update on my primary computer and it keeps corrupting the dbase files (this didn't happen on Windows 10 pre-AU).

• Greg Moss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this being statused as Done! when it's only partially been done for a subset of Access users? The post makes it sound like it's been released for all Access versions but you have to read 4 paragraphs into the blog your link points to to find that it's only for 365 users. What are we supposed to do with the shiny new Access 2016 program we just installed?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have office pro 2016 with MsAccess but i don't see this option. Is there a patch or fix to install it ?

• Øyvind Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's NOT done.

It's "planned".

I have checked for updates too, but still no option to link to dBase files.

• Dave Most commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Access 2016 and it still doesnt show an option for dBase import. I checked for updates, and it says its up to date. How can i get this fixed?

• Florin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Planned" is too vague.
        Please Microsoft, can you define a date when this will be available?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is great!!!

Can't wait ;-)

(Really... I do need it soon so I can stop trying to work around the problem on Windows 10 and Office 64bits. This is still a current issue!)

Hope we'll have more news soon ...

• Scott Miller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Planned!? Am I reading this right? MS is planning on bringing back dBase support to Access. THAT's TERRIFFIC!!!!

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand it's on the radar...but will it require a new "upgrade" of office? If so, will we potentially lose any other mission critical functionality?

As a future suggestion, when you compare all the new features of a release in comparison to the incumbent release, you may also want to indicate what will be missing and when/if those particular features will be available. If, as your project board members believe, the features are unimportant to the majority of the masses you would have sold slightly fewer copies but kept MS loyalty and respect of both new and existing users.

I may also remind MS that many small/medium size government agencies are heavily reliant on 'antiquated' data structures. The government is ALWAYS slow to modernize (sometimes by decades). I still have Access 2010 on my government machines with no plans to upgrade and I won't recommend them to if it will break a single mission critical system.

• Alan Cossey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm. I wonder what the review process was at Microsoft that led to them removing this in the first place.

• Steve Meissner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to process national fire response statistics from the National Fire Incident Reporting System. Seems like all that data is collected in .dbf files from fire departments all over the country. This is a major issue if we cant read the data anymore. Any conversion suggestions Microsoft?

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THANK YOU (Running around smiling, with hands over my head, slapping the lamps with high fives) :-) Then we still love you ;-)

• Frank Rotolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hmm, top voted request with 662 votes, and counting, but still no reply from MS' Access Team?.. Looks to me like they don't have any intentions on entertaining this request..

• Liz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition to connecting to dbf files, I need to be able to export them. I odbc to a variety of data and love that Access provides an avenue to work with multiple data types, but once I'm done I need to be able to export as a dbf for some mapping instances, etc.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base